This is an exciting opportunity for six PhD students to attend and participate in a series of seminars on innovations in, and uses of, digital methods across the social sciences.
The seminar series, Digital Methods as Mainstream Methodology, is funded by the ESRC as part of the National Centre for Research Methods’ Networks for Methodological Innovation.
The seminar series consists of three events that will bring together researchers from a range of disciplines and career stages to…
- map out, engage with and advance current debates in digital methods
- showcase a cross-disciplinary range of contemporary social science research projects that effectively and innovatively utilise digital methods
- and identify future roles for such methods within the mainstream of social science research.
The Network team recognise the role of doctoral students in developing methodological innovations in digital research and, as such, view their contribution to mapping out future directions as particularly important.
The seminar series is geographically dispersed across the country, taking place in Bristol (the University of the West of England), London (The British Library), and Manchester (the University of Manchester).
Bursaries will pay for travel and attendance at all three events (at a maximum of £300 across the series).
- Attendance at all three events is expected (dates are still being decided but events are likely to take place in July 2012, December 2012 and March 2013).
- Applicants must be PhD students based in the UK.
- Applicants must be familiar with, and have expertise in, the use of digital technologies and social media.
Successful applicants will be expected to do the following…
- Contribute to the planning of the events in the seminar series.
- Contribute to the creation and maintenance of social media sites used to publicise and disseminate information about the seminars (Twitter, Facebook, Storify, YouTube).
- Live tweet each of the seminar sessions (using a dedicated hash-tag).
- Use Storify to create a story of each event, combining their experiences and comments with those of others.
- Conduct a brief summary interview with keynote speakers which will be posted on the hub website and YouTube.
Please send us your application (using not more than one side of A4, single line spacing, and 12 point font) outlining what you will contribute and gain from participating in the seminar series, as well as describing your relevant experience and expertise.